Web based ERP systems have all the modules such as Financials, SCM, Manufacturing, Production, HRM, CRM and Inventory on internet, and hence, it can be viewed from any part of the world any time and see the updated data of any department, whereas, server based ERP cannot provide updated information online.
A web based ERP requires a web server such as the IIS Server or the Apache server, and an internet access to stay online. Generally, it is provided on subscription therefore the cost on implementation, support, training, testing and license can be prevented. The price includes the hardware, software, up-gradation and maintenance, and the company does not require hiring IT staffs to maintain the systems. End users find it easy to use as it is mostly managed by the provider.
Benefits of Web Based ERP Over Server Based ERPs
1. Web based ERP provides the needed ease with which the company can stay in contact with the marketing personals can get reports related to latest customers and maintain a customer base. The CRM functions are integrated to internet and the marketing officials can provide the details of latest deals and get in contact with company anytime from anywhere, whereas, the server based system will have limited functionalities. It cannot send updated data to the marketing personnel and it may not have the capabilities to get in contact with customer or send the emails or P.Os immediately. If a company is working in customer support field - the online system helps the company to work day-night and provide the required support.
2. The internet based system provides complete flexibilities to the employees to work as per their convenience from their location and it even reduces the expenses of the organization on maintenance of employees. The employees can view the company's data from his home computer and work from the conveniences of his home which prevents delays and helps the company to meet market demands on time.
3. The system eases the process of maintenance of multiple currency and locations, and the organization in the business can search for markets at remote geographical places.
4. It helps in improving profitability at a low cost because the company does not require a dedicated and expensive staff and contractors who have to come to office to administer the infrastructure of the client and server system. It does not require the costly license of the OS and the large bandwidth for the connections which is required between various branches of the organization in case of server based system.
5. Server based system requires linked applications to get updated data and it may take time to deliver the latest information. So if the organization has to take immediate production decisions which are based in the budget of the company having units in many parts of the world, the web based system will provide a better option. From anywhere the employees can see the inventory, pricing, profits; sales analysis and hold meetings through internet.
6. Immediate solution such as get orders for product delivery which is found in food industry can be fulfilled without much effort and expense on maintenance.