SAP Web Application Server (Web AS) is another important component of SAP Netweaver that helps in supporting various types of internet facilities with the ability to run on different platforms. The software enriched with various features helps in the integration of e-business strategies. The Web AS must provide enough accessibility to the users and reliability to deliver a better performance. Different internet technologies such as XML, HTTP and J2EE must be duly supported by any application server which the SAP Web As possesses.
With the help of an application builder, supporting Java script and ABAP the SAP Web AS is created along with the Business Server Pages and MIME objects.
The architecture of the Web AS constitutes of the internet communication manager that maintains the communication between the intranet and internet using HTTP, HTTPS via high performance channel that enhances the performance and the scalability. Creation of business content and logic is provided by the business environment and the SAP applications are run by ABAP environment. The connectivity helps in the integration of third party applications and tools. Due to the open end connectivity it helps in exchange of information in a heterogeneous system, using SOAP and XML based protocols for communication.
Enterprise Application Integration tools also known as EAI tools are used to deploy sensitive data of the enterprise.
1. Web AS presents a rich web based infrastructure which has special accessibility features and caching mechanisms. The effective features of the database offer a multi user environment and optimize the lock management system.
2. Provides the latest internet security standards like HTTPS, SSL (Security Sockets Layer) and LDAP (Light weight Directory Access Protocol) which helps in the effective and secured communication between all the components of server and the clients. Provides due authentication and single sign-on features along with digital certificates and signatures that helps in identifying the users.
3. Due to the independent platform Web AS supports all types of web services and business applications along with the standard technological developments like J2EE and ABAP.
4. Runs on all open technology platforms comprising of leading operating systems, hardware and open- end natured databases.
5. The integrated deployable capabilities of Web AS help in running various applications. It also manages different versions of the system through a well defined repository. The file storage of Web AS offers flexibility in the usage of local files as well as enables secured and effective storage of other related database in a central server.
6. The highly developed architecture of Web AS helps in dramatic improvement in performance and scalability with a strong support of the established SAP applications in heterogeneous environment.