SAP Exchange Infrastructure (XI) acts as an integration platform that integrates the IT ecosystem of an organization that is essential, as the business progresses towards more complicated regions. Integration of the core components becomes mandatory as it reduces the chances of slipping of the information and technological failures. It helps in consolidating the older software and technologies reducing the annual maintenance cost. It provides the long term usability and the stability of all the SAP applications.
SAP XI has become indispensable due to its 3 fold ability to connect, coordinate and communicate that forms the backbone of any successful business.
1. XI can connect well with all applications irrespective of third party application or SAP. Through the Adapter Framework it integrates and connects all the SAP modules and the third Party solutions like Siebel, Legacy Systems etc.
2. XI defines the path flow for every business transactions to be integrated by channeling the messages ensuring from the message delivery up to reaching the target destination. It also allows managing the document exchanges through accurate monitoring.
3. The ability of translating files into any format like internal file format or any standards of business to business integration, SAP XI is not limited to XML format or EDI format. Multiple communication protocols allow the proper routing of the files over protocols like FTP, http/s, ebMS, SOAP etc.
The central integration repository and the integration directory of SAP XI are the storehouse of all the shared knowledge and information of collaboration over all the components covering the entire life span of the solutions starting from designing, configuration and ending with deployment. The Integration repository maintains the Integration definitions separately without hampering the functional application coding. The repository gathers the desired knowledge from SAP, business partners and third party vendors.
The most important aspect of SAPXI is its ability to integrate heterogeneous applications with its Java2 platform, Enterprise Edition (J2EE), Connector architecture (CA) based on adapter framework.
Utility of SAP XI
1. Lowers the integration cost by enabling the reuse of old components. By integrating the components seamlessly it reduces the overall complexity and the huge cost involvement in the IT department.
2. The Process Centric Integration of SAP XI enables to integrate the business process inside and throughout the organizational boundaries. With the help of SAP's extensive knowledge it helps in collaborating and capturing information throughout the entire software cycle. Based on Web Services it offers the flexibility and adaptability by following the principles of Enterprise Service Architecture that helps in reducing the total cost of ownership (TCO).
3. The Process Automation system helps in automating various processes and the message flow as required by the owner within the heterogeneous system or beyond organizational boundaries.