SAP is based on NetWeaver technology and it uses the service oriented architecture to provide mapping of business processes. The package provides flexible features and with the release of new ERP, SAP upgrade its license model in which the support for R/3 has ended and customer who own the license for R/3 models can go for upgrade at special credit.
Benefits of SAP upgrade
1. The new feature enables flexible working.
2. The process can work to meet the needs of changing market situation.
3. It improves the performance of business processes and enhances existing IT assets.
4. It improves productivity and profitability of the organization.
5. It provides better management and runs the system at a low risk.
For the new changes the company can contact consultants or partners to get technical, strategic and functional information related to the new system at minimum risk, minimum cost and to enable maximum user acceptance. Tools can be used for the process or the job can be handed over to expert team of consultants who can work in the various business areas to provide the solution.
The processes requires removal of unused functions and reports, making changes in system, resetting the custom development methods as per SAP's given standards and optimizing business processes.
There are some basic steps which enables easy conversion of old SAP version to new version such as planning, business process designing, upgrade, testing, QA, upgrade production, go-live and support.
The steps involved in the preparation of SAP upgrade are -
1. Analyze the need of upgrade and plan the processes to maximize ROI. Assess the benefits and losses of new changes. Plan for the project, the scope and execution of project plan should be designed to prevent risks in later stage.
2. Define the various areas of modification such as technical and functional areas. The process involves optimizing value proposition and defining the business cases.
3. The estimation of resources and the budget required for upgrade should be made. Various teams will be formed and resources will be allocated for each stage and for each team. Search for appropriate tools to get the upgrade process completed successfully.
4. Plan to activate the enhancement package and installation of new system will be made. In this stage the team will analyze the impact of new changes on future decisions. Plan to reduce errors, to reduce downtime and to get a quality upgrade is made.
5. The assessment of technical and related risks will be made and quality of upgrades will also be analyzed.
6. Provide training to the new staff to upgrade the project. A proper mix of both internal and external resources is required to get the desired result; therefore, an assessment of resources is made.
7. The process requires securing the buy- in and getting support from the team and the users.
8. Prepare to get the compatibility requirements of the application.
9. Streamline the testing activities, optimize the processes and prioritize steps to ease the complete procedure. Identify the deficiencies in the system and analyze the gaps in functionalities.
10. Make a plan to reduce overall costs of modification.