SAP architecture contains unstructured and structured information. The SAP data warehousing solution is a business warehouse built on the three tier architecture and it is coded in ABAP - the Advanced Business Application Programming language. The architecture is designed in ALE - the application Link Enabling Language and BAPI - Business Application Programming Interface is used to link to the Business warehouse in case of both SAP and non SAP systems.
Business Warehousing is categorized in the structured information and it contains the presentation service, analysis/access service, storage service, ETL, Meta Data services and Administration services. The business warehouse architecture is designed in three layers and the three layers perform different functions.
1. The top layer is called the reporting layer. It is also called the BEx or the business explorer. It consists of two components BEx Analyzer and the BEx browser.
2. The middle layer is the BW Server layer and it has three tasks which include administration of the BW system, storage of data and data retrieval.
3. The third layer contains the source system which hosts the R/3, the system files, flat files, database and it requires a SAP component which is called Plug In for installation. It contains the extractors which is a set of ABAP programs, tables and objects which get data from the SAP system.
The Business warehouse server contains the Administrator Workbench, Metadata Manager, Metadata Repository, PSA, User Roles , ODS and Staging Engine.
1. The Administrator Workbench has the responsibilities of checking the metadata and the BW objects. There are two components needed for loading the data and to monitor the data for various processes: BW Scheduler and the BW Monitor.
2. The Metadata Manager is used to manage the Metadata Repository which contains information related to the data.
3. Persistent Staging Area serves as a server and it stores data in the original format which is imported from the source and it checks the data's quality which is loaded in the various destinations such as Info Cubes and ODS Objects.
4. The Operational Data Store forms a multilayer structure which is used for managing data to give the desired reports.
5. InfoCubes are basically table like structures.
6. The OLAP Processor is a processing engine and it analyzes the data and helps in processing the requests of the users.
7. All the documents are stored in the structure called the Business Document Service and the documents appear in various formats such as Microsoft Word, Excel, PDF, HTML and PowerPoint.
8. The main content of a Business warehouse is Business Content and it can provide a number of standard reports and objects.
9. The function Generic Data Extraction is used to get R/3 data.
The Business warehouse has now further evolved and it is used to design projects and its scope. The BW business content includes the reports of various functional modules such as Quotation Processing, Order Processing, Delivery, Analysis and Comparisons, and Administrative and Management Functions.
mySAP e-business provides the environment for Web Application Server which contains the mySAP Business Intelligence and the mySAP services is provided to get easy technology implementation, to get a training for system support and for business analysis.