SAP BW module is a kind of typical Business Warehouse. Basically, SAP NetWeaver BW - Business Warehouse is the name given to the combined features such as Business Intelligence, reporting, data warehousing and analytical - the solution produced by SAP AG. The solution was called Business Information Warehouse and later it was known BW and BI.
The information is stored in following layers
1. Extraction, Load and transformation layer which is responsible for the extraction of data from source.
2. Storage service layers, Analysis and access service layer, Presentation service layer, Administration service layer and Metadata Service layers.
3. Reporting: The information in the data warehouse can be accessed and presented in user friendly manner by using the reporting tools. The capabilities such as planning and analysis can be used for budget calculations and making future plans.
SAP NetWeaver includes the components such as Enterprise Portal, Web Application Server, Process Integration, and Master Data Management. The process integration is also called the exchange infrastructure, and the reporting can be done through the tools such as Report Designer, BEx Analyzer and BEx Query Designer.
There are many forms of key elements used to store data such as ODS objects, Datasources, infoSources, infoProviders and multi-providers. The structure of these key elements are explained below
1. Data Sources: Data Sources are basically flat data structures and it is used for extracting and storing data.
2. InfoSources: It is a group of InfoObjects and it belongs to the business point of view. It contains transactional data which can be obtained from various transactions of online transactional process and master data.
3. ODS Objects: It is a form of dataset which is used for merging data from one source to many info sources and the data is stored in the form of tables.
4. InfoCubes: It is multidimensional data storage containers whereas ODS objects are flat structures. These can store geographical areas of a company.
5. InfoProviders: These are data objects which can include the data found in infoCubes, ODS objects etc.
6. MultiProviders: It can have more than one infoProvider to store data which can be easily accessed by reports.
The core building blocks of SAP BW module are infoObjects which is used to define the needs of information and business processes. The information can be designed in multiple languages, units of measurements, hierarchy, currencies etc. The business content can be in the form of roles and queries and the process helps in reducing implementation cycles of SAP. The business content of the SAP BW module can be pre defined and it can be modified to meet the organization's requirements.
SAP BW module automatically assimilates the data and designs the information which can be used for analysis and for graphical visualization. It has the easy layers which include the administrative services and the users can exchange the data and the metadata within the system. It eases the process of corporate planning and data maintenance. The metadata objects in the system can be used to design the operational data stores, info marts and data warehouse.