In an organization, the information related to the various business processes are stored in a number of formats and standards, and the data is moved across the number of layers. The layers include staging areas, ETL (extract transform load), enterprise data warehouse, data marts and DSS. Every layer of a business process has a certain purpose and the user friendly interface of the software is used to send instructions to the various layers of the architecture.
The business system is used to convent operational data into a new form which can be converted to actionable knowledge. A number of tools are provided for business intelligence in SAP and the business intelligence features is distributed in data warehousing enterprise reports, query and analysis, business planning and analytical services and system administration.
SAP business intelligence objects help a company in the following ways
Provide flexible adhoc reporting on internet: The company data can be accessed from web, and it is very simple to view and print these reports. The data can be formatted as required. The reporting are accurate and updated.
The data can be viewed on Microsoft Office tools and it can be used to make forecasts, and to make presentations and documents. The information is designed in a secure way which allows only the authorized users to access the data.
Easy decision making and identify new opportunities: The management of the company can use the dashboard tools to identity new opportunities and the manager can see the impact of their decisions before taking up any decision. In a single view manager can see multiple business intelligence content.
Planning: SAP Netweaver BI uses the business intelligence platform and tools, which are provided in SAP for planning and data warehousing. It is used to deliver user centric enterprise portal technology and provide a comprehensive solution.
Centrally managed data: SAP BI helps a company to store data electronically at one central database and it prevents paper records. The centralized database also helps the company to immediately get updated information related to any business process anytime.
In SAP Business Information Warehouse, BI platform is the technological infrastructure which offers many technologies and functions to pass through the analytic engine and the metadata repository helps the organization to display information using the metadata objects for the current system. The metadata repository also helps the company to store information independently of the BI system and the system documents provide context sensitive information for the business objects. Some benefits of BI platform are
1. The documents can allow the users to display BI objects and add documents for metadata, InfoProvider data and master data.
2. The analytic engine has an OLAP functions and it can provide service for BI integrated planning and analysis of the process design.
3. OLAP helps to prepare information for large operations and it allows multi dimensional analysis which can be used for various business perspectives and it also includes a number of aggregation and calculation layers.
4. The analytical engine provides business planning which allows the users to enter data manually and create planning applications with BI.
5. OLAP, business planning and analysis process design (APD) helps the analytical engine to provide security.