Some of the main features of manufacturing software are to provide simplified methodologies for generating the request for proposal (RFP) and providing scalability. The buyer can see the documents and check if the module enquires about the vendors, its services, customer base and stability. The pricing structure is important aspect of RFP and the software should be able to determine the checklist to get the capabilities of the vendors and it should ensure the legalities of the system.
Some of the modules found in manufacturing are Product Data Management, Service Management, Master data, Supply Chain Management, Production, HRM, Enterprise Performance Management, CRM, Sales, Financials and related application tools. Depending on the business type and location - there are a number of software providers that dominate and provide customized solutions for the manufacturing companies.
There are a number of manufacturing products based on the business type and number of users. Some of the leading providers of manufacturing module are Oracle JD Edwards, SAP Manufacturing, Microsoft Dynamics Axapta, Epicor, Enterprise IQ, Infor, Sage, Tally etc.
Some of the features which should be provided by the best manufacturing ERP product are
1. It should be aimed to provide an increase in sales, market share, profits, and provide the list of key objectives. It should be scalable and able to adapt to the future trends of the market.
2. Provide better market visibility and control across the various marketing units located in different parts of the world. The module should provide option for globalization to allow easy maintenance of manufacturing data at business units located at different geographical locations or across boundaries.
3. Reduce the total lead time to make the process speedy and increase the production cycles.
4. Reduce manufacturing costs and improve quality of products.
5. Reduce wastages in the form of scrap and defects, and reduce the total work cycle time.
6. The manufacturing modules should have an improved Bill of Material, Inventory, Lead Management and related reports. The manufacturing module of SAP can provide a solution which works as per the changes in the supply and demand, and it helps the company to detect the market demand early and start the manufacturing prior to its competitors.
7. The latest developments includes providing support for open technology to allow the solution to be integrated to other application built on new platform, and provide support for online reporting and meet the fluctuation in demands of the market.
8. The new features include meeting the compliance demands and reducing wastage. The module should helps in improving the quality of the products and it should be able to provide features for engineering and - reengineering of products - depending on customer demand.
9. The quality of service can be increased by the automated system and a strong aftermarket service can be provided. It eases the process of providing customer support.
10. Recently, a number of manufacturing products have been made available in market, which has a low cost of ownership and maintenance cost is also low. These products provide support for discrete manufacturing and process manufacturing, and it also eases communications with the distributors and business partners.