The functional consultant should be aware of the business processes and functionalities of the modules present in the ERP whereas a technical consultant should be able to provide technical support to the client for evaluation, implementation and post sales phase.
A functional consultant will have to make the project design, project plan, design the DFDs, flow charts, study the GAPs, analyze the crucial path and use the process knowledge to see the impact of implementation. The functional consultant can tell about the work flow of software and will enable the users to understand how the data moves through the software to deliver the desired output and how the implementation of software will ease the work processes.
A technical consultant has to assist in configuring the system, designing the networks, assign the clients and server machines, design the user interface, set up the database, transfer the data from one machine to other, format the systems, load the operating systems, design the legacy system and implement the system.
The jobs of functional consultant and technical consultant have many similarities and differences, and the collaboration of both the consultants helps the system to be implemented accurately. Some of the work areas of both are
1. Identifying customer's requirements and provide training to end users: Both the jobs require identifying customer's need. The technical consultant will have to answer to the technical queries of the client and the functional consultant will have to answer questions related to the business functionalities of the software. Both will have to provide training to end users.
2. Working at client's place: Both the job require working at client's location and solving problems, therefore, a good verbal communication skill and interpersonal skills are required. The technical consultant should have the aptitude to learn new technologies and new ways of working, and try to adapt to change in work conditions. He may be given the job of preparing the environment at client's site in the evaluation phase and it requires analyzing the number of machines required, the number of license of software will be needed, studying the requirement of database, OS, servers, security and administration.
3. Designing the standards and regulations: The jobs require the person to follow the standards and rules of business and computing. He will have to solve complex business situation which requires high visibility, tact and strategy.
4. Providing the needed solution and convincing the management: He should be able to convince the management and employee of the client who will use the software, and also provide training to the new users.
5. Designing test cases for the new system: After the completion of implementation both functional and technical consultants will have to test the system through various standards. The functional consultant will see if the business process followed by the new system is appropriate and the technical consultants will see if the user interface is designed properly, the data migration is done correctly, analyze technical error, test for overloads and scalability, administer the security of the system, ensure the data encrypted, safe and has access permission as per the rules designed in the business process.