SAP Web Application server is a component of SAP which runs on Netweaver, and it runs SAP based applications and processes. All ABAP applications can run on application server that hosts the multi-tier ABAP architecture and the message server. The application server communicates with presentation components, and the database to exchange information between client and server.
The web application server has five layers - Presentation layer or the user interface, business layer, integration layer, connectivity layer and persistence layer.
1. The presentation layer is developed in JSP and business server pages (BSP).
2. The business layer has the J2EE supporting run time environment which processes the requests and generates response.
3. The integration layer is a part of Web AS.
4. The connectivity layer communicates with the internet communication manager which gets requests from the user interface for internet connectivity using many communication protocols and it has modules which supports HTTP, SMTP, SOAP, SSL and HTTPS.
5. The persistence layer supports easy transaction handling.
In a distributed system, the presentation layer allows the user to give instructions to run an application and it has an interface which is called the GUI. The application layer runs the application logic and the application runs on it. The distributed system makes the structure scalable and open. When the code is executed, the ABAP work process and the SAP Gateway makes the RFC called between SAP instances. The message server has to balance the loads and exchange messages.
1. The business logic is basically developed as an independent layer which takes instructions from the user interface and after processing the requests, it sends the results to the database. The database is independent of business logic and therefore the architecture supports open standards. The feature allows SAP to support open SQL and use the capabilities of ABAP and Java to provide an efficient application programming interface.
2. The web application server allows SAP to support the web technologies such as HTTP and JAVA to execute.
3. One of the key features of SAP Web Application Server is that it has a platform which allows efficient application development.
4. It provides the application which can meet the requirements of enterprise as it is an all purpose server which has a high performance, and it is easy to integrate and is highly scalable.
5. It allows custom development of applications and tools, and Web Application Builder is provided for creating the environment for custom development.
7. It runs server based and client based applications. It is installed in Netweaver and to set up the architecture, the Internet communication manager is set up which can process both client and server requests. It supports the protocols HTTP, SMTP, HTTPS, and it can serve either as a server or a client.
8. Netweaver has many authentication levels. The SAP LOGON ticket is a configuration most commonly used by enterprises and other authentication patterns designed for single sign on are Secure Network communication and Secure Socket Layer (SSL), which helps to get a standardized methodology for authentication.