The job of a functional consultant is to evaluate the need of the customers, talk to the representative of the customer and make a note of essential processes and business plans. Then he/she will have to make an algorithm and design the business models. He will have to take in the views of the technical experts to finalize the requirements and to make a project plan.
1. The ERP functional consultant should be aware of various business models and the functional capabilities of the modules such as Finance, Supply Chain Management, Human Capital Management, Product Lifecycle Management, Customer Relationship Management, Manufacturing, Production, Purchase, and Inventory.
2. He should be expert in providing the required business intelligence and business architecture, and should have experience in working in various business areas.
3. A university degree in project plan and financial field helps in analyzing the business needs better and an experience in implementation helps the functional consultant to take quick decisions and estimate the risks of various business plans.
4. The job requires designing the business processes and setting up standards, rules and regulations.
5. He should have a high communication skill to solve complexities and to get full support from the end users.
Some of the key responsibilities of functional consultants are
1. In end to end implementation the client may require the functional consultant to study the current business processes, design the business flows and compare it to the new business process which will be followed by the company after the new software is implemented and a comparative analysis will help the organization to make a decision about the vendor.
2. The initial project plan designed by the functional consultant will be used by related module consultants and technical experts, and he will have to make flow charts, DFDs and should have basic knowledge of latest business intelligence tools.
3. It requires identifying the need of various processes, designing test cases, doing the risk analysis, deploying the modules and ensuring that the modules functionalities meet the requirements of the company. The consultant should ensure that the system works exactly as required by the client and it should follow the standards and constraints as advised by the customer.
4. The consultant has to provide training to the user about the functionalities of the system and should assist the technical staff how to design test cases for functional analysis. Basically the consultant should be quick to understand the requirements of the clients and should be able to provide solution for complex business problems.
5. He will have to interact with the consultants of every module and IT experts to ensure that the software is integrated well to other modules and to the third party software applications.
6. The consultant has to provide documented information about each and every stage of implementation and the reports related to the project are submitted to the Project Manager.
7. The functional consultant will have to design test cases and do risk analysis after the completion of the process to see that the system works for complex business functionalities.