ERP consultants can be categorized in two groups' functional consultant and technical consultant. The job requires foresightedness, high communication skills, and complete knowledge of functionalities and technical aspects of the project, interacting with clients and taking critical decisions.
Role of Technical Consultant
1. The role of technical consultant is to identify the requirements related to the technology, the database, servers, operating systems, and the number of license, hardware installations and expense on technical features. Depending on the budget he can assist which system will best suit the organization.
2. He will play a crucial role during the data transfer process and work in collaboration with the functional consultant to identity the valuable data which has to be transferred to the new system.
3. He will advise if the company should use the one-tier, two tiers or N-tier based system and the future technical requirements such as internet based systems or heavy database for excess data can be analyzed by him.
4. He will design the technicalities of the business processes and design the architecture of the system.
5. The functions such as e-commerce, multi dimensional business models, e-application, customizations, training and testing is done by him.
6. During testing he has to design test cases in which he finds out if the system works for overloads, scalability, integrity etc.
Role of Functional Consultant
1. The role of the functional consultant is to study the business needs of the clients and to design the project plan which can fulfill the business needs of the customer. He can assist the client to buy the modules which best suits its business.
2. He should be aware of the functionalities of the modules in the system such as SCM, HRM, CRM, Inventory, Finance, Production, Manufacturing etc.
3. The initial standard entries will be analyzed by his and he has to see that the software follows the legalities, the business standards and the needed work flow is provided by the software.
4. He will have to provide training to the end users and also design test cases for various business situations to see if the system works as per the requirements of the client.
5. He plays a major role when parallel process of implementation is integrated at one point.
6. He will see if the data entered in one module is working on related integrated modules or not or if there are any errors in calculations or formula etc.
7. He assists the end users to use the software optimally to get the needed ROI.
The job is further categorized in various levels such as managerial and executive level. The consultants who lead the project are Project Managers and they are responsible for dealing with the customer, designing the project plan, preparing the budget, convincing the management about the project, appointing the team members, assigning work, ensuring the work is done on time and taking the credits for completing a project, whereas, the team members who join the project manager will assist the team to ensure the plan designed by the manager is followed properly and the work is completed on time.